Greger acts as a nutritionist to guide people for healthier diet. This book is handful of scientific explanation over popular diseases and preventive measures. Here is a very quick summary:
1. Heart diseases: Follow plant - derived diet (vegetable and nuts) to keep cholesterol levels average under 150 mg/dL. Avoid sugary foods, trans fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol - laden foods that clog up our arteries, allow path for blood to flow. Kale is the queen of green and best source for antioxidant-boosting.
2. Lung diseases: Load up broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower to reverse not only lung cancer but also breast cancer. Indian spice turmeric prevents DNA damage caused by smoking. Remove eggs and dairy can reduce asthma risk. Stay away from frying bacon and eggs (second hand smoker).
3. Brain diseases: Choose potassium - rich foods (greens, beans, and sweet potatoes). Eating oranges can keep you warmer and reduce stroke risk. Sleep enough. Eat food contains lots of antioxidants. How can you tell? Anything turns brown when exposes to air (Compare banana, apple vs. mango). Oat meal for breakfast. Purple grapes are for powerful brain-accessing antioxidants. Cook using the most-heat cooking methods such as steaming or stewing. Aerobic exercise for forty-five to sixty mins a day, four days a week.
4. Digestive Cancers: Curcumin, red onions, and grapes. Dark green, leafy vegetables and legumes, such as beans, split peas, chickpeas, and lentils. Donate blood is great to prevent excess buildup of iron. Avoid drinking tea with meal which inhibit iron absorption. Orange. Good fats are nuts, seeds, avocados, olive and vegetable oils. Avoid supermarket chicken breast (extra salt added + drug). Berries.
5. Infections: 3 apple a day or 1 tea spoon of red onion. Mushroom.
6. High blood pressure: Industry add salt to draw in water and increase the weight. Buy whole chicken. Avoid chicken breast in the supermarket! Raw vegetable > boiled one. Flaxseeds. Hibiscus tea. Beetroots.
7. Liver diseases: One to two drinks a day to lower the risk of heart diseases. Grapes, barley and potatoes. Don't share personal care items (toothbrushes, razors). Do not cook pork raw. Dietary supplements caused higher rate of liver transplants and deaths. Drink coffee.
8. Breast cancer: Soya and mushroom
9. Suicidal depression: Single carb rich, protein poor meal improve depression, tension, anger, confusion, etc. Saffron.
10. Prostate cancer: Milk is no good. Garlic and red onions.
11. Iatrogeni causes: Ginger compounds protected DNA. Lemon balm tea. Don't have aspirin.
12. Others: Eat colorful fruits and vegetable. Cook without oil. Buy organic is not worth it. 300 grams water melon to reduce muscle soreness.